Pages

Welcome To Sawdust

We have moved. Please visit and bookmark us at the following address:

https://dbcww.wordpress.com

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

New Workbench - Part 1

Time for a new workbench. For some reason I woke up one morning and that is the thought that popped in to my head and I just went with it. Could be something to do with the fact that my current, scrapped together, workbench has finally overstayed it's welcome in my shop. Could also have something to do with the fact that I recently finished reading Christopher Schwarz's book Workbenches: From Design And Theory To Construction And Use. Good book by the way. I've also had a new vise sitting around for about a year that I was planning to put on a new workbench - retrofitting the old one to fit the vise was not really an option. Sort of like putting new wine in old wineskins.

Initially I thought I would use all reclaimed materials but I opted to use some Southern Yellow Pine that was on sale at a local home center for the top. I'm still using reclaimed lumber for the base which includes the legs and the stretchers.

The photos are some of the 2x4's that I pulled from a small barn/shed late last fall. They were pretty rough but a few passed throught the planer did wonders.

Reclaimed 2x4's before removing the nails and planning. One important thing to note here is that I use a Lumber Wizard III to check for any remaining metal or nail fragments that may have been missed when pulling nails.




Legs beginning to take shape. Here they are cut to size and aligned so the grain is going the same direction for further planning.






Leg blanks getting glued up in one shot.

2 comments:

  1. Straight into it I see. What design are you running with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had to nail it down to one particular design that has inspired me it would be Ruobo. But I know once complete it will fall short of purists expectations. I consider this an interim bench built on necessity (and a limited budget). No plans for a crochet or front vise that goes down to the floor. I'll probably add a deadman later.

    One of these days I would like to build a Roubo as it's meant to be.

    ReplyDelete