Pages

Welcome To Sawdust

We have moved. Please visit and bookmark us at the following address:

https://dbcww.wordpress.com

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Handplane Essentials - Book Review


Handplane Essentials by Christopher Schwarz
First I want to say that I'm in no way associated the author of this book or the publishing company. I'm simply a woodworker giving my honest opinion about a product I've purchased and want to share my thoughts. Maybe this will help another woodworker make a decision on whether or not to purchase the same thing - maybe not.

This is a beautifully published book. All black and white (duotone or tritone - haven't checked with my loupe yet) photos. A lot of good information organized into various categories including some reviews and historical articles.

One thing that I wasn't expecting however was the fact that most of the book seems to be an aggregation or reprints of past magazine articles previously written by the author. If you are someone that has read a lot of the articles written by the author you may be disappointed. That is really the only negative I can find about this book. But for me it doesn't take away from all the great info contained within. I've read it through and often find myself referring back to it when needed. I'm not sure if this is considered companion material to the Handplane Basics DVD but the two work well together in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment